12 compression fracture of thoracic vertebra: implications, treatment
12-th vertebra – this symbol indicate the need of the thoracic vertebrae. Its dimensions reach their maximum together with the first and second lumbar vertebrae. In this place, the human body transverse line to divide the like "in half". That is why this place comes the load is the greatest force.
Region 12-th daily subjected: bending, straightening, stretching, compression and other kinds of loads. But it happens that the bearing of the body can not stand, and breaks down under the influence of any environmental factors. Such problems relate compression fracture of thoracic vertebra 12.
The content of the article
Compression and its causes
The word "compression" – in translation from English means "squeezing the grip". That is, a fracture of this type will arise as a result of excessive compression of the vertebrae.
In emergency situations, when the load is much higher than the permissible vertebra may not survive. For example, in a car accident when one car hits "forehead – to – forehead" to another at great speed, the passengers continue by inertia to move forward, hitting the obstacles with great force.
It is incredibly strongly compressed by the entire spine, and in the place where the load is greatest (this is most often area 12-th), the vertebrae compress each other to such an extent that one can't simply crack. The same situation is observed when the drop height when the victim lands on his feet, and the movement of the body continues to the ground, squeezing the spine.
The main symptoms
To easily differentiate such damage from any need to know the basic symptoms and signs. These include:
- Pain in the back. It is acute, and may spread to the entire back, as suffering and entire spine.
- Irradiation. The term refers to the impact of pain in the limbs. In this condition the pain will continue to radiate in hands and feet.
- Weakness and numbness of the limbs due to the fact that the result of the injury may hurt the spinal cord.
- Girdle pain in the abdomen. This symptom suggests that it is affected by the thoracic – lumbar. Especially the 12th thoracic vertebra.
- Shortness of breath. Because of this injury, you may experience shallow breathing for several reasons. First, compression could hurt the diaphragm. Also, it may happen that the phrenic nerve, which departs from the brain will be bent, resulting in nerve impulses will not pass it on in full.
This is, perhaps, the main symptoms of compression fractures in the spine Department.
Fractures of the spine of any nature do not go unnoticed, and can often cost the lives of the victims. This applies even to those cases where it "cured".
- See also: Fracture of the thoracic spine.
Let us discuss in detail each of them:
- Sciatica. Verbatim from the medical language is an inflammation of the nerve roots, which branch off from the spinal cord. Nerves passing between the vertebrae, forming in this place the so-called roots. The compression effect, they will zaselyatsya between the vertebrae and inflamed. This is not a fatal disease, but can be disturbed by chronic pain, or numbness of the limbs.
- Low back pain. More precisely, post-traumatic low back pain, and sciatica. By this term is meant a condition where the intervertebral discs dry out, crack, fall apart.accompanied by aching pain of varying intensity. In this case, bent vertebra would involve, and a crushing disk, its destruction and eventually drying out. Of course, like sciatica, the disease is not fatal, but will be accompanied by aching.
- Spinal stenosis. Stenosis means narrowing. In the spinal canal formed by the vertebrae is the spinal cord, which performs a wide range of vital functions and reflexes. Due to the infidelity of the diameter of the channel. Accordingly will suffer the spinal cord. The result can be not only pain, but numbness of the hands and feet, immobilization in General, or death against the refusal of the authorities.
- Herniated discs can also be the consequence of a compression fracture. But in this case nobody knows whatit will come out. If towards the rear side of the body is not fatal, will be accompanied by pain and restriction in mobility. If the hernia is climb to the side of the spine – it may be passing nearby vessels and nerves, thus violating the blood supply of any organ. But the threat of a hernia Shmorlja. They climb in the direction of the vertebral canal, and can run down the spinal cord. The result can be the same as in spinal stenosis.
See also: treatment of schmorl's hernia of the thoracic spine.
Diagnosis and treatment
To date, the most informative methods are: MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), ultrasound (ultrasound), ECG (electrocardiography cardiovascular), and laboratory examination of the cerebrospinal fluid and blood.
As treatment is applied full immobilization and fixation, and conservative therapy based on the use of special corsets and analgesics to relieve pain. In this type of therapy, it is very important to comply with bed rest. Sometimes suggest traction of the spine (a small stretch).
In addition to conservative, can be used surgical treatment, especially when the fracture may not be compatible with the patient's life. Thus, the task of the surgeons may consist in a simple cessation of pressure of the vertebra or discs to the surrounding tissues and to completely renew the structure of the vertebra and its ligaments. After that, the long-term rehabilitation for the resumption of functions and mobility of the spine as a whole.
Many physiotherapy centers involved in the rehabilitation of patients with compression fractures of thoracic vertebra 12. Very often the patient recovers completely, but it's strictly for the performance of all medical recommendations and appointments.