Rehabilitation after compression fractures of the thoracic spine
Physical therapy in compression fractures of the thoracic spine need to be addressed almost immediately after admission and fixation of the body in the correct position. Session is better to postpone, if the patient is bad, he has a fever, a pain that deteriorates the sensitivity or mobility.
Exercise therapy in the case of compression fracture of the thoracic spine are four stages. To understand, moved the patient to the next level, and what physical activity he was allowed, the doctor performs the tests. And then announces whether physical therapy sessions the next stage.
The first stage
During the first weeks after a fracture of the thoracic spine physiotherapy has established the following objectives:
- The return of the patient's vitality;
- The stabilization of the heart and blood vessels;
- The normalization of the lungs;
- Improvement of the digestive system;
- Prevention of muscle atrophy.
Used breathing exercises, gentle exercise, support the body in tone after a spinal fracture. Exercises legs after a spinal fracture used in the lightweight versions (slide bed). You can't move simultaneously with both legs, one at a time. Otherwise, it can start the pain due to muscle tension. If the exercise involves lifting the pelvic region, need to rely on the blades and feet.
Physical therapy paid at least fifteen minutes a day. They are only from the supine position.
Breath a full breath is done every few exercises, begin and end with him. Exemplary complex:
- Breath full chest. Put on the chest of a plastic bottle, filled with something granular. Exhaling, raise the weight to the maximum, hold the breath for a few seconds, relaxing on the inhale. Five repetitions is enough;
- Squeeze the hand into a fist and relax alternately;
- Pulls the sock towards himself, looking at him;
- Bend-unbend elbows;
- Rotatable feet;
- Rotate wrists.
The following exercises are isometric exercise in different muscle groups. Supply voltage and muscle relaxation should take place only gradually. Such regulations need to stay from two to ten seconds:
- Compress fingers in a fist;
- Tense shoulder muscles;
- Straining of the thigh muscles for a few seconds;
- Straining the gluteal muscles;
- Tense the muscles of the leg;
- Straining your back muscles.
Don't forget to finish the complex, repeat the first breathing exercise.
- See also: Fracture of the thoracic spine.
The second stage
After the first week comes the second period, which lasts up to a month after a fracture of the thoracic spine. Now we need to stabilize the internal organs, improve circulation of blood in the compressed area of the vertebrae. It is necessary to start the regenerative processes in the body, strengthen the back muscles.
The main goal of this stage after a spinal fracture is to build muscle support for the spine in the thoracic and prepare a person for the execution of more complex motor activity. The load begins to increase – a greater number of repetitions, LFK session takes up to twenty minutes of exercise is more diverse.
Approximately two weeks after a spinal fracture, the patient can lie on your stomach. Here you need to take the weight off the front of the fractured vertebra rollers.
Appear exercises on muscles of hands, abdomen and back. To the vertebra was easier to overcome the consequences of compression fractures, it is recommended to perform extension movements (to bend the back at the chest). These movements will be easier to follow if you lower the front of the bed and legs of the patient will take some of the load from the back.
Exercises to lift the back at a fracture of the thoracic spine, you need to concentrate on the voltage of dorsal and ventral muscles. Exercises legs still only valid alternate. Physical therapy exercises are performed lying on your back, begin and end with deep breathing from the first complex. Among several exercises and repeat it.
Straining, inhale, relax, exhale. Complex physical therapy of the second stage (all exercises are performedabout five reps):
- Bendable arms at the elbow, bringing the palm to the shoulder girdle;
- Bend the foot itself;
- Move the head and corresponding arm to the left and right alternately;
- Bend the leg at the knee, pulling it up, returned back;
- Let's get to the side and return the leg, keeping it straight (alternately);
- Leaning on elbows, Flex the thoracic region of the back;
- Put your hands on your hips, running stroller, but the feet move alternately;
- Isometrically load the thigh muscles (now repeat the isometric stress is also increased to five or more);
- Raise the head and shoulders;
- Gone in one leg, keeping it straight. Replaceable leg;
- Isometrically tense spinal muscles.
The third stage
The third stage lasts from the end of the first until the end of the second month after a spinal fracture in the thoracic spine. Here it is necessary to strengthen the muscles of the body, pelvic area, hands and feet. To return the patient to feeling your own body and its movements. Load in General, after the fracture of the spine is growing again, playing longer and more intense – up to half an hour, and classes are conducted twice a day. Appear movements with light weights, means that the muscles are in longer tension. Appear exercises in position on all fours and on her knees.
- See also: What is a compression fracture of the spine?
When a patient with a fracture of the spine is on all fours, takes a load off your back, recovering the physiological lordosis in the cervical and lumbar region.
Standing on his knees the man begins to prepare to get back to his feet. You need to slightly tilt your back to shift the burden of the vertebrae from front to back. In the two original positions a person leans to the side, moves on knees or on all fours. Learns again to feel the full movement of their body. During this period, you can again move my legs at the same time. Many physical therapy exercises while still held in the position lying on the back or stomach.
Therapy here involves only one deep breath in the middle of a session, before you roll over on your stomach. Increase the number of repetitions to about seven times. The following movements lying on the back:
- Bendable arms at the elbow using dumbells up to four pounds;
- Led and driven by the foot. The role of the weights performs the wiring of the rubber;
- Resting on the elbows, straighten the back in the thoracic spine. The physical therapist counteracts pressure;
- In turn raise the legs straight at an angle of 45 degrees.
Doing a deep breath, flipped on its belly:
- Raise the head and shoulders, specialist in physical therapy counteracts the pressure;
- Let's get back hands in a straight position, raise your head and shoulders, at the same time lifting the legs in a straight position. Hold for a few minutes.
Then get up on all fours:
- Move forward and backward;
- Move left-right;
- Take the leg in a straight position backwards, the look the other way. Replaceable leg.
- Kneel, resting on the headboard of the bed, the body is a bit gone ago:
- Slightly bend left-right;
- Slightly lean back, tilting the neck;
- Moving forward and backward;
- Sweep the leg, bending it at the knee. At the same time look the other way. Then change the leg.
- See also: Rehabilitation after spinal surgery.
The fourth stage
When the patient was again able to stand and was discharged from inpatient therapy at the turn of the thoracic aims to continue strengthening the muscles of the back, legs and arms. It is also necessary to return the patient the correct posture, make your back more mobile. The fourth phase of treatment is characterized in that on the spine to provide vertical load.
A patient with a fracture rises approximately two months after the injury. This rise need not be implemented from a sitting position. To stand, need to move to the edge of the bed, put your foot on the edge and lower it down. And then by focusing in hand, to straighten up and lower the other leg.
From this point on in the complex therapy after a fracture of the exercises appear in the original standing pose. Included movement, restoring the ability to walk, stabilizing the correct posture. Some exercises include equipment for gymnastics, for example, the gymnastic wall.
Start a session of gymnastics and deep breathing.First lie on the back and performed "lying" motion of the third period. Turn over on your stomach, again turning to the same class third period. Stand up, resting on the headboard of the bed and perform ten repetitions:
- Rolling from heel to toe;
- Sweep the leg and head in different directions;
- Sweep the straight leg back counter-instructor;
- Slightly lean back with his head thrown back;
- Running polupricepy on toes.
Finish the session of physical therapy, isometrically straining femoral, gluteal and dorsal muscles. The session lasts up to 40 minutes, performed twice a day.