Injury lower back: in the fall or impact, treatment, symptoms
The back is often exposed to various injuries, especially the lumbar. After all, the lower back accounted for a large part of the load. Despite the fact that the vertebrae in this Department are thicker and the muscles stronger and tighter, frequent sprains and injuries that lead to temporary loss of mobility and pain. In any case, even the slightest bruise of the lumbar spine can result in discomfort, so you need to know how to classify injury and how to treat it.
Causes and types of injuries
Injury is called closed damage organs and tissues (skin, muscles) without effecting anatomical disorders. Usually it is due to direct blunt impact. In the case of injury of the lower back it could be either a fall, or blow a big subject. Usually, this injury occurs in people involved in sports, working on the production. Also quite common injuries of the lower back in the winter during icy conditions. At this time should be especially careful to walk the streets. Injury of the lower back is common among victims of accidents on the road quite often along with the injury of the upper spine. Injury can occur when falling from height on the feet or on the back.
Injuries back klassificeret according to severity:
- Easy. Damaged only soft tissue, may appear bruise. Neurological disorders no. Legs moving easily, no numbness.
- Average. Loss of sensitivity of certain areas of the lumbar, as disturbed conductivity of the spinal cord, respectively – suffer the divisions that are innervated by it to the injured part.
- Heavy. Complete loss of conductivity below the injured area of the lower back. Sometimes neurological disorders are not restored.
The symptoms of trauma
After an injury starts to develop spinal shock. Its severity may be different depending on the force of impact. If the shock is not pronounced, then some time may occur only a slight numbness below the waist, which soon goes. If everything is serious injury cause damage of the abdomen and pelvis, and disorders of defecation and urination, and even lead to paralysis of the lower torso.
General examination of the injured person should include assessment of the following parameters (symptoms arranged in order of increasing severity):
- The presence of pain at feeling the place of injury.
- Begins to show swelling, growing with time.
- Injured feel pain when you turn your torso, not bend.
- There is swelling in the ankles, blood circulation, and there is a weakness in the lower torso.
- May occur paralysis of the muscles of the bladder, in this case, urination is difficult or will, or uncontrollable. Acute pain occurs during walking and sexual intercourse. These symptoms are characterized by damage to the coccyx.
- Appearance of paralysis and paresis of the lower extremities. The localization of paralysis may be different depending on the places of injury of the lower back:
- When injury of the upper or sredneroznichnaja Department, the victim will not be able to bend and straighten the leg at the knee or make it with great difficulty.
- Contusion of sacrum and coccyx may lead to immobilization of the foot.
- Trauma transverse processes of the vertebrae may result in paralysis of both legs.
Before the physician often faces a difficult task: it is necessary to ascertain the location of the injury and determine whether he damaged the spine, internal organs and vital arteries to provide patients with effective treatment.
The diagnosis of injury of the lumbar the following:
- Medical history (information derived from the patient): as at the time of injury and current, time and place of injury, cause, etc.
- The inspection for the presence and size of hematomas, any deformities of the bones, swelling.
- Conduct functional tests on the reflexes and sensitivity. Also, the doctor probes the injury.
This establishes the initial diagnosis. Your doctor may prescribe medications and ointments to relieve swelling and bruising and reduction of pain. It gives the patient directions for the more detailed examinations to determine the exact diagnosis and further treatment.
- Letting the patient's blood and urine.
- Radiography of the lumbar spine. So doctors can determine the condition of the bones and the probability of a shift of the vertebrae. You may also need x-rays of the lumbosacral in two projections.
- Computed tomography may replace or Supplement it. Necessary for the assessment of bone structures.
- Magnetic resonance imaging allows to determine the condition of the soft tissues of the lower back and blood vessels. Necessary if you suspect a spinal injury, and spinal cord.
- Occasionallyassigned to lumbar puncture. This measure is used in the spinal cord injury. Determines the presence of blood in cerebrospinal fluid.
Bruises all departments back not only back, very serious, and their treatment must be approached comprehensively. Treatment and diagnosis of injuries of the lower back is within the competence of the following doctors:
- The neurologist (neuropathologist)
- Surgeon (neurosurgeon)
- The podiatrist.
- See also : What is a bruised spine?
After identifying the diagnosis the doctor prescribes conservative or surgical treatment.
Contusion lumbar sacral spine requires different treatment depending on the severity of the injury. So, a couple of injuries treated at home by the patient. The essence of such treatment lies in the removal of pain from the soft tissues of the lower back. As a rule, appointed anti-inflammatory gels and ointments (Diclofenac, Ketorol, Nise). Also, the patient should be restricted in physical activity in order to minimize the load on the muscles of the lower back and lumbar spine: less walking and bending over to lift weights, to eliminate the sharp turns of the body.
In more severe injuries, the patient usually is hospitalized. Together with prescribed painkillers and hormones to relieve swelling and inflammation. The fact that the hormonal drugs stronger and, therefore, the patient will get better faster.
When drug treatment is nearing its end, the patient is prescribed a course of rehabilitation that includes physical therapy and physiotherapy (magnetotherapy, electrophoresis, laser therapy). Also assigned gentle massage of the lower back.
- See also: Massage waist.
If the injury of the back causes severe discomfort or to the doctor cannot be reached in the near future, then you need to follow the General recommendations for lower back injury:
- Immediately after injury, it is necessary to apply cold to the injury site, however, to observe, to avoid overcooling of the internal organs. Apply cold for the first 2-3 days.
- Do not take drastic attempts to stand up or bend over to move quietly. And it is better to stay in bed.
- After an injury your back is to lie on a hard surface. You need to roll a roll of soft towels (with a diameter of about 5 cm) and put it under the small of your back so that the pressure does not cause discomfort. This cushion helps to relieve lumbar and gives him rest.
- On the 3rd day, you can stop applying cold and start to warm the injury site the blue lamp or electric heating pad.
- It is also necessary to regularly apply anti-inflammatory creams.
- If the condition does not improve, then it is necessary to consult a doctor for a complete diagnosis of the lumbar spine.
Generally, the rehabilitation period the patient can vary from a couple of weeks to several years. In this case, all depends on the severity of a back injury in the lumbar region and resulting complications. Often doctors prescribe wearing a corset or belt for fixing the waist and unloading of the vertebral joints.
Treatment should include procedures aimed at accelerating the metabolism of the damaged area and improve circulation. Perhaps the appointment of a course of psychotherapy (usually in complex cases the patient experiences the shock), which includes conversations with a psychotherapist, a light load in the pool and physiotherapy.
- See also: a Bruised tailbone in the fall treatment.
It should be noted that the patient may not always accurately determine the severity of the injury, so the self to do not recommended. In any case, the treatment to the doctor will not be superfluous; instead, it will allow you to ascertain particular diagnosis and to identify possible complications. Also the doctor will prescribe a course of treatment that will allow the patient to get well soon and come into full functional form.