Neck pain after sleep: how to get rid of, treatment, exercises
Neck pain after sleeping is a symptoms of disorders in the nervous tissue, muscles and bone structure. The reason may be an uncomfortable position during sleep, low back pain, problems with the blood supply and infection. Treatment in these cases is prescribed by a doctor, but initially you should find out the cause of the discomfort.
The cause of the pain
Pain in the neck in the morning arise due to the following factors:
- Improper posture at night. It is the most common prerequisite for the emergence of discomfort in the morning. So sleep was uncomfortable, unnatural, the patient was lying, it broke blood circulation. The character of the pain: cramping, dull or nagging.
- The inflammatory process. When inflammation and swelling muscle tissue presses on nerve endings, causing pain. But not always ache because of sore muscles, the cause is inflammation of the nerves.
- Infection. Disease infectious nature also provoke discomfort and soreness. In this case, you must correctly diagnose the disease and to eliminate its center with medication that will be prescribed by a doctor.
- Oncology. A prerequisite for the onset of pain can be a malignant neoplasm in the cervical spine of the patient. With the growth of the tumor compressed the soft tissue, nerve endings. All of this leads to pain.
- If a sore neck after sleeping, the cause often problems with the blood circulation. They also cause pain. The symptoms are usually correlated with abnormalities of the nervous system. The pain in this case is sold not only in the cervical region and affects the head, shoulder girdle, gives to his feet. Rarely vessels under the influence of pressure on the blood vessels there is an infringement of blood supply of the neck. Then in the morning the patient swollen muscles, increasing their tension and tone.
All the causes of pain in the cervical spine are divided into internal and external factors. But if the pain occurs intermittently and recurs, then the patient should consult a physician for diagnosis and inspection.
- Maybe you need some information: how to find out why a sore neck
Due to the fact that the tenderness of the cervical occurs for various reasons, doctors use different treatment methods.
To find out why a sore neck after sleeping, it is important to consult a doctor, because only with the help of professionals, you can identify the cause of the disease and to cure the disease. The patient undergoes the necessary tests (blood, imaging, etc.). After diagnosis you should go to treatment.
- If the patient has pathology of the spine, the treatment is medicines or a course of physiotherapy. Medications used to treat, anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects. They remove the swelling of the soft tissues, eliminates pain in the neck. As physical therapy used for massage therapy, physical therapy, chiropractic, acupuncture treatment. They improve blood circulation and restores metabolic processes.
- In various pathologies of the spine well help the individual systems of gymnastics developed by the instructor in physical therapy or physician.
- In Oncology, doctors use medicines to relieve pain. After this treatment, doing chemotherapy or surgery. If the disease doctor found the cancer at an early stage, after surgery and chemotherapy less probability of development of metastases in the body.
- In the absence of diseases and pathologies should pay attention to the size and stiffness of the pillow. Sleeping on the pillow should be comfortable, should not cause pain in the cervical region in the morning. The level of the spine and head should be the same. The spine or head should not droop, to take an unnatural position or to bend. If the pillow is picked up incorrectly, then the arteries are clamped and blood vessels, which causes a pinched vessels, causing swelling. Broken blood circulation, all this leads to diseases of the spine.
See also: orthopedic Pillow for cervical spine
- Also read: why back pain after sleeping
What to do if you get soreness? If you have no diseases and serious chronic diseases, it is possible to use these methods for quick relief when the pain arising in the morning.
- Remember that the weight of your head about 9 pounds, so the muscles of the neck it is important to relax. In his spare time should be more comfortable to lie down on the pillow.
- Ice packs can be used to eliminate the pain. Important: the attachmentice to the affected areas sometimes provokes aggravation of problems. If it hurts stronger and stronger, the ice is removed.
- The neck can be a little self-massage without any sudden movements.
- Imposing a warm, moist towels. A towel is heated by using a microwave oven. This procedure improves blood flow to the tissues. The greatest efficiency of the compress upon spasmodic pains. You cannot use this method with increasing temperature. If worse, the compress is removed.
- For fast pain relief use aspirin, acetaminophen or ibuprofen. How to take medications, written instructions for use.
- Stretch your neck muscles, before doing this take a hot shower or warm cloth hot compress.
- Perhaps you are interested in: how to remove the spasm of the neck muscles
A set of exercises
- If it starts to hurt the neck after a NAP, sit on a chair, straighten your back, straighten the shoulders and keep the head straight. Tense the muscles of the neck, through the resistance tilt the head forward, backward and sideways. Keep the voltage of 6-7 seconds on the inhale, hold your breath and relax for 10 seconds. Repeat the exercise 5-6 times.
- Sit on a chair, inhale and press the back of his head with his hands. Tense the muscles so that there is resistance to the palms. The head should not fall. Stay in this position for 7 seconds. Exhale, relax. The exercise is repeated 5 times.
- Inhale, pressing hands to the head so that there is resistance, relax, rest 7-10 seconds. Changing the direction of pressure. Repeat five times on each side.
- Performed tilts forward and back, pressing the back of his head, pressing his chin to his chest. Then put the hand on the neck and through the resistance tilts his head back. Do 5 tilts forward and back 5 times. Between the slopes relax for 10 seconds.
- Inhale and turn your head to the left, straining the muscles. Keeping your eye on the direction of rotation. Exhale and relax for eight seconds. Turn the head to each side 5 times.
- Laid his head on his chest, the maximum relax the muscles of the neck. Doing head movements like a pendulum, gradually lowering the head reaching to the collarbone. Number of exercises: 8-10.
- Most relaxing and tilting the neck. Make a motion similar to a pendulum gently reaching out his head to his shoulders. Repeat 8-10 times.
- Drop the shoulders, inhale and reach the crown up, stretching the neck. Make head turns to the left and right side. Do the stretches 5-6 times.
- Also read: does not rotate the neck, what to do?
This set of exercises is recommended to perform 2 times a day, morning and before bedtime.